The SGBA owns a fleet of sailing dinghies: 7 Toppers, 6 Laser Bugs, 6 Laser Picos, 5 Lasers, 3 Fevas, 2 Wanderers, a Laser 2, a Drascombe Lugger and a recently purchased RS Quest. They are clearly marked with a sticker saying "Owned by the SGBA", all are stored in the quarry near the Club House at Mill Point. They are available for use at any time by members who have have paid the £40 annual boat use fee and their accompanied children. See below for the full list.
Remember you must always wear a bouyancy aid or lifejacket when using an SGBA dinghy. You are responsible for everyone in the dinghy and you must report any damage or missing equipment to the Quartermaster (Sail). Please read the guidelines (below) on using the club boats before using any club boat.
Please remember to use the sign out/in sheet on the club house ground floor notice board when using any SGBA craft.
See also: Rigging Guides
In 2018, the club was very generously donated a Drascombe Lugger called Scillabub. Various members including Steve Goodchild, Stanley Brown and Roger Stobbart worked very hard restoring her to make her ready for use by club members.
Booking: Use of Scillabub is included in your £40 annual boat use fee, but we ask you to book in advance as she is a very popular family boat. This means if you are planning a day out you can be sure of its availability once booked and it allows the quartermaster to manage fuel provision for the outboard.
Throughout the spring, summer and early autumn we have an extensive sailing programme - see the calendar for details.
Sailing your own boat
Many SGBA members have their own boats and SGBA members may store their boats on the foreshore for a small annual fee (£55). Contact the boat park officer for availability of spaces.
Conditions for using dinghies
All members who have paid the £40 annual boat use fee may use the club dinghies for free subject to the following conditions:
- Buoyancy aids must be worn at all times whilst using SGBA craft.
- Adult members of the club (those over 16 years) may use the sailing dinghies without being accompanied by a safety boat.
- Booking outside Monitored sailing during Covid-19: You should always sail with a buddy boat so that if one of you suffers gear failure the other can help without requiring external assistance.
- Members under 16 may use club dinghies outside of club events provided that parents or guardians (two adults) are in attendance in an SGBA safety boat or one with similar performance and equipment. The club cannot advise for all conditions, so members supervising juniors are expected to follow the advice of a qualified instructor and RYA guidelines. Note that the minimum qualification for a safety helm at an SGBA club event is Powerboat Level 2. If a parent/guardian considers the junior to be sufficiently experienced and conditions permit safe sailing, he/she may supervise the child from another dinghy.
- The sailing area for the dinghies is from Duncannon and/or Tuckenhay to the Anchor Stone.
- Any breakages or missing or defective gear on the sailing dinghies or canoes should be reported to the Quartermaster (Sail).
- If you use a club dinghy please ensure that when you return it you securely attach to either the standing chain or the rail (Picos) using either the supplied lock or the boat's painter. This will ensure that the boats will not be damaged or lost during high spring tides.
Type Built Location Description Sail No Boat No Maker Hull No QUEST 2019 Quarry RS Drascombe Lugger Mooring off club-house Scillabub Drascombe Boats WANDERER 1989 Quarry
Cygnet 821 WANDERER 821 WANDERER Mooring off club-house Bagpuss 580 WANDERER BUG 2009 Behind clubhouse
Grey 2009 191 Laser 191 BUG 2009 Behind clubhouse
Grey 2009 582 Laser 582 BUG 2009 Behind clubhouse
Grey 2009 675 Laser 675 BUG 2009 Behind clubhouse
Grey 2009 676 Laser 676 BUG 2009 Behind clubhouse
Grey 2009 723 Laser 723 BUG 2009 Behind clubhouse
Grey 2009 724 Laser 724 TOPPER Quarry Racks
Purple 40759 TOPPER 40759 TOPPER Quarry Racks
Purple 40778 TOPPER 40778 TOPPER Quarry Racks
Blue TOPPER MISSING PLATE TOPPER Quarry Racks
Blue + inspection cap 19198 13273 0680 TOPPER 13273 0680 TOPPER Quarry Racks
Red 28460 TOPPER 28460 TOPPER Quarry Racks
Blue 18034 12604 0580 TOPPER 12604 0580 TOPPER Quarry Racks
White hull grey topsides 33844 33844 TOPPER 33844 PICO Quarry Racks White hull 12456 LASER GBPSEP10009C808 PICO Quarry Racks Yellow hull 12142 LASER GBPSEP11410G808 PICO Quarry Racks White hull 11545 LASER GBPSEP10199E707 PICO Quarry Racks Yellow hull NA LASER GBPSEP11345808 PICO Quarry Racks White hull 12457 LASER GBPSEP111257E08 PICO Quarry Racks White hull 12539 LASER GBPSEP11335F808 FEVA Quarry
Grey RS GBLDCF6117 FEVA Quarry
Grey RS GBLDCF6119 FEVA Quarry
Grey RS GBLDCF6132 LASER Quarry
Vela Grey LASER 152404 LASER Quarry
Pale Blue Hull LASER 46391 LASER Quarry
Red topside, white below LASER SE 2659 LASER Quarry
Red hull LASER 46355 LASER Quarry
White hull with brown and red and yellowish diagonal stripes LASER LASER 2 Quarry Pale blue hull LASER 4968