Selected Club Boats Now Available for Member Use
Published 11:58 on 5 Jun 2020
We are pleased to announce that in line with the easing of some Covid-19 restrictions, members who have paid their £40 club boat use fee can once again use selected SGBA club boats on the river:
- Sailing dinghies during monitored sessions from Saturday 6th June
- Paddling in kayaks and SUP's at other times from Sunday 7th June
The health and safety of all members remains our priority and we will continue to take precautions to reduce the risk of infection from Covid-19 in accordance with Government guidance.
Selected Boats - MUST be Pre-Booked
Only selected sailing dinghies, kayaks and paddle boards will be available for use - and these must be pre-booked for each use via the website. This is to limit the numbers of participants using club facilities at any one time from a social distancing perspective. It also gives us a record of boat use to trace and reduce any further risks.
You will need to login to the SGBA website to make bookings. Please make sure you can login as soon as possible so you do not find you have problems immediately before you want to book a boat. We have a description of common login problems and solutions here.
Sailing in club boats can only take place during designated sessions, which will be supervised by a "Monitor" to ensure that social distancing is observed and that effective cleaning of boats & equipment takes place before and after each use. The Monitor will also be on hand from a safety perspective and to answer any questions.
The boats initially available for booking are:
- 4 x Picos
- 3 x Lasers
- 2 x Fevas
- 1 x Quest
- 2 x single sit on top kayaks (the blue/white Triumph 13's)
- 2 x double sit on top kayaks (yellow)
- 2 x stand up paddle boards (yellow)
It is hoped that further boats will be made available once we are sure that our processes are working safely and effectively.
Monitored Sailing Sessions
Monitored sailing sessions can be viewed on the calendar.
We've created a short video explaining how to book a dinghy.
The Monitor will show you where to find your dinghy and associated foils/rigs.
Booking Kayaks and SUPs
Paddling using club kayaks and SUPs will be available at any other time from Sunday morning (7th June) onwards (when no Monitored Sailing Session is taking place) but again use of these craft must be pre-booked via the SGBA website choosing one of the available slots.
Paddles and seats will be stored in the dinghy park, behind the pallets near the Outboard Store.
Using Your Own Boat
Members may continue to use their own boats from Mill Point, but must also follow the relevant guidelines below.
Additional Guidelines for Use of SGBA Boats During Covid-19
It is important to note that use of SGBA club boats is subject to the following additional Covid-19 guidelines. By booking a boat, you are agreeing to these guidelines and will need to accept them when booking:
- You MUST NOT come to Mill Point if you have ANY SYMPTOMS of Covid-19, or if you or any of your household are self-isolating.
- You must only use the boat you have booked.
- If sailing, please make yourself known to the Monitor on arrival at Mill Point, when ready to sail, on return from the water and when leaving Mill Point.
- There is NO ACCESS TO TOILET FACILITIES at Mill Point, except during Monitored Sailing Sessions.
- Please come ready-changed for boating - there are no changing or shower facilities available.
- Social distancing applies at all times - keep at least 2m apart!
- Boats should be used either single handed or with members of your immediate household only as appropriate.
- Follow the important cleaning/hygiene advice displayed on posters onsite.
- Before going afloat, check weather conditions and tides.
- Use the river within your capabilities - you should not go afloat in conditions that will exceed your personal strengths and abilities.
- During Monitored Sailing Sessions, you agree to follow any instructions from the Monitor.
- You must always wear a buoyancy aid or personal flotation device whilst using an SGBA boat.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Anyone developing COVID19 symptoms within 5 days of using a club boat or other facilities at Mill Point must inform the Commodore or Vice Commodore so that special cleaning measures can be undertaken.
- Lastly, members going afloat will do so at their own risk. In the absence of any negligence or other breach of duty by us, the use of SGBA facilities and craft is entirely at your risk.
We are really pleased to be able to offer access to club boats again. We hope you will appreciate that the use of shared facilities and equipment has required a thorough evaluation of the risks and implementation of measures to ensure your safety by reducing infection risk and to minimise the chance of any incident requiring support from the emergency services.
Enjoy your boating. If you have any questions or queries, please do get in contact.
T: 0794 100 5593
Last updated 13:32 on 12 August 2020